Free Software Friday is our regular Friday feature here at the dBs Music blog. We dig the depths of the music production and media webosphere and discover what downloadable plugin freebies are worth double clicking each week.
In honour of its 10-year anniversary, Cinematique Instruments have been running the Klang free instrument series; an initiative that sees the company release a new free Kontakt instrument each month that reflects their previous work and ethos. Now, with the release of the final free instrument, we wanted to look over everything that's been released.
Before you get too excited, we should mention that whilst these instruments are free, they require a full version of Kontakt (5.6.8 or later) to run.
Made up of 12 instruments, the Klang collection offers a number of new creative options to try out. You can check out the full collection below:
- Grained Violin - Contact mics and guitar pedals fuse to create three interesting violin patches
- Silver Lining - A heavily processed, sustained music box
- Clashing Rails - a huge soundscape of a train station
- Sonic Wasteland - Guitar harmonics sent through an old tape machine that can be mixed with a Glockenspiel to create desolate sonics.
- Abandoned Zoo - Lonesome atmospheres
- Debussy Freeze - A stretched orchestral recording of Claude Debussy
- Krautrock Machine - A small drum computer that tries to capture the old and inspiring spirit of Kraftwerk, Can or NEU!
- Neon Tube Buzz - A deep pad made from the buzzing of a neon lamp
- Hammered Violin - A unique violin sound that swaps the traditional bow for piano and xylophone mallets
- Cloud Harmonics - A chain of delays, an endless feedback loop, a low-pass filter and volume control coalesce for this floating instrument
- Echolette Choir - Various sound sources sent through an old tape delay, feedback knob turned to insane and the moments captured
- Unstable Guitar - Three different guitar pads produced by running a Jazzmaster through an array of FX pedals.
Klang instruments are available for both Windows and Mac, but require a full version of Kontakt 5.6.8 or later. Click the link below to find out more about each instrument and to download.
FIND OUT MORE
Cinematique Instruments: Klang
Interested in production, plugins and sound engineering? Why not take a look at our hugely popular music production and sound engineering courses?